Hold the date! 21 September 2016 : 7th Annual TDL Children’s Book Awards Quiz
For the 7th time, Tararua District Library is celebrating the best of New Zealand’s books for young people with our Annual Children’s Book Awards Quiz, held simultaneously in each of our four libraries. Primary schools (and homeschoolers) from Tararua District are invited to submit team(s) of Year 7 / Year 8 children, who will answer questions based on the Children’s Choice finalist books.
Norsewood & Districts School are the current District Champions. Who can knock them off their coveted perch? The Champion Team get possession of the trophy for a year, plus a prize. The highest scoring team in each town also get a small prize. Time to get reading – only 7 weeks to go!
Download the Children’s quiz entry form or collect one from your library, if your school hasn’t received one by mail.
PLEASE READ THE RULES:
- Primary school teams, and homeschooled students, from within the Tararua district are eligible to enter.
- Maximum of 4 students per team. Small country schools are permitted to combine their students with students of other small country schools to make up a team. Schools can enter more than one team. Homeschooled students are permitted to combine to make up a team.
- The quiz will be held simultaneously at each of our four community libraries. Results will be constantly updated throughout the evening. If entry numbers are low, the library reserves the right to hold the quiz in just two libraries.
- The questions will be from the finalist books in the HELL Children’s Choice New Zealand Book Awards 2016 in the picture book, junior fiction and junior non-fiction categories. Young adult fiction is excluded. See this post for titles.
- Each team will need to have collectively read all the finalist books in the relevant categories. All our libraries have copies of the books available for loan.
- Teams will be able to quietly confer before writing their answer down on the answer sheet provided, with 20 seconds per question.
- In the event of a tie, the top teams will compete in a playoff round.
- No adult will be permitted to sit with or confer with the teams until the quiz is finished. No devices will be permitted (smartphones, etc).
- The adjudicator’s decision is final.
- No answer papers will be returned to contestants or schools after the quiz.
The winning team of the Tararua District Library Children’s Book Awards Quiz will be awarded a prize and possession of the trophy for a year – and bragging rights, of course! The highest scoring team in each particular town will also receive a small prize.